onsdag den 15. maj 2013

Nutty paleo bread (Warning: May lead to addiction







Unless you've been living under a rock for the past year, you've probably heard about paleo food, also referred to as 'caveman food' and 'stone age food', which is based on natural ingredients and excludes processed and refined foods. Normally I'm not slow to try new things in the food department, especially when something is really hyped, but for some reason I haven't gotten around to grappling with paleo until now (sure, I've used almond flour before, but not exclusively). I thought it was time I found out what all the fuss was about, and as you might have seen on Instagram or Facebook, I baked my first paleo bread the other night. 

There are so many different recipes out there, but they all have the basic ingredients in common, which are nuts of all sorts. I sought for inspiration in a variety of versions and made own. I did use a teeny bit rye flour to ensure the right texture, so you might say it's not paleo all the way, but small steps, right? When it first came out of the oven I was a bit skeptic about the consistency but it turned out just perfect when it had cooled. The flavor from the nuts is so rich, and one slice of this bread goes a much longer way than the rye bread I usually eat, fullness-wise. And on top of that it's good for you. Win win. I have a feeling this is the beginning of a life-long relationship between paleo bread and I.

1 medium-sized paleo bread:
4,5 dl. water
50 g. yeast (optional)
150 g.mixed nuts, coarsly chopped (I used walnuts, almonds, and hazelnuts
3/4 dl. olive oil
Seeds from two vanilla pods
1 teaspoon cinnamon 
1 teaspoon cardamon
1 egg
50 g. rye kernels
2 dl. flaxseeds
1 dl. sunflower seeds
200 g. rye flour
200 g. almond flour

Pour water into a large bowl, add the yeast, and stir until it dissolves. Stir in oil, vanilla, cinnamon, cardamon, flaxseeds, sunflower seeds, and rye kernels. Then add chopped nuts, rye flour, and almond flour, and stir until well-combined and the dough becomes elastic, preferably using a baking machine. Don't be deterred by the sticky texture. Let the dough rise for three hours or more (if using yeast), put it in a rectangular baking tin, add some nuts and a sprinkle of cinnamon on top, and bake for 25-30 minutes at 200 degrees C. Keep an eye on it and be careful it doesn't bake for too long. I hope you'll give it a try too, and that you'll like it as much as I do. Be warned: You may never want to go back to your old bread.

Dansk: Som I måske har set på Instagram eller Facebook, begik jeg mig for første gang ud i at bage det hersens stenalderbrød eller 'paleo' brød den anden aften. Jeg lod mig inspirere af nogle forskellige opskrifter og lavede min egen version der udfra. Resultatet blev fantastisk, og det er bestemt ikke sidste gang, jeg prøver kræfter med den famøse stenalder tendens. Jeg håber, I også vil kaste Jer ud i at prøve det - og at I vil synes lige så godt om det, som jeg gør.

2 kommentarer:

  1. Yay, jeg er vild med dine opskrifter! Jeg vil rigtig gerne se mere af den slags - isär supperne du postede for noget tid siden, gav mig rigtig lyst til at pröve noget nyt :)

    /Cindi

    http://cherriesandsunflowers.blogspot.com

    SvarSlet
    Svar
    1. Det er jeg rigtig glad for at høre! Og jeg lover, der nok skal komme flere lignende supper :-)

      Smil, Tine

      Slet